Friday, January 8, 2010

Limiting Beliefs

Most of us, more women than men, have Limiting Beliefs. These are the beliefs that prevent us from doing/achieving what we really want in life. They keep us tied to a job that we don't like, they keep us overweight, they keep us poor and unhappy.

Examples are:

I'm not...
I can't...
I'll never...
I don't...

There are hundreds of limiting beliefs we face everyday. A lot of these barriers to success were drummed into our heads as children as a way for our parents to keep us 'safe' and under control. Even more come from the media, especially fashion magazines - as in the case of limiting beliefs for women. Many of these limiting beliefs are so ingrained into our psyche that we don't even recognize them as limiting beliefs, but as fact. And we listen to them and act upon them unconsiously.

We are all brought up with the 'should' in life. How things are supposed to look, feel and be. Ask yourself one question:

Who told you any/all of the above limiting beliefs about yourself and what authority do they have to make the decision about YOU? Tell me, if these same people told you that all elephants are pink with purple polka-dots, would you believe them? Of course not.

You are the master of your own life and your own destiny.

I was told over and over as a child by my parents, my siblings and others that I can't. No matter what it was I wanted to do I was told that I can't. Now, the word can't implies that one is not able to achieve something. I was born with a brain, all of my body parts in tact and the same 'ability' as anyone else to achieve whatever it is that I wanted in life. Why were these limiting beliefs placed upon me?

The cool thing is, that as adults we now have the choice to accept these limiting beliefs and continue to allow them to keep us in a negative space, OR we can choose to examine these limiting beliefs, see them for what they truly are (Limiting), release them and then replace them with empowering beliefs.

One of the first steps in turning these limiting beliefs into empowering beliefs is asking WHY?

WHY aren't I...
WHY can't I...
WHY won't I...
WHY don't I...

When you turn these around, what you will start to see emerging are reasons why these limiting beliefs DON'T WORK!

Once you grasp the concept that the thought patterns limiting beliefs create are causing you more harm than good you are able to start turning them around into a belief system which is positive and empowering. One that will help you achieve your goals, your desires, happiness.

Let's try this:

I AM.....
I CAN...
I WILL...
I DO...

Take each of the above statement beginnings and write 10 answers for each. These answers MUST be positive. Then once you have done that, focus on the aspects of your life where you can put these new EMPOWERING beliefs to work.

Changing your internal messages and thought patterns is not easy and it takes a lot of hard work. You will backslide into your old patterns from time to time so expect it and accept it. This does not mean you are a failure, rather it means you need to keep reminding yourself that you are able, you can achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. Post these four empowered beginnings somewhere you will see them each day and tell yourself each day why you can, why you will...etc. Eventually the positive, empowering beliefs will replace the old negative, limiting beliefs and become part of who you are, your internal dialogue.

Then, the only thing limiting you will be your imagination.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment